Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Hotwire.

Keeping with the current trend, I have nothing of value to add to this blog. I've got nothing to say. Except for this:

Hotwire.com is the shizzle. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, it's one of those "opaque channels" where you choose a nameless hotel room based on location, star rating, and of course, price. Only after you've paid for the (non-refundable) room do they tell you which hotel it is. A lot of people I know just won't do it. They can't stand the thought of plunking down their hard-earned cash for an anonymous hotel room. I used to be one of those people. Not anymore! I'll admit, it's a gamble, especially when you're booking a 2 or 3 star hotel room. I've stayed at some pretty shitty "3-star" hotels. I haven't been brave enough to book anything less than a 4-star hotel though them. That's where the odds are. 4-star hotels are where the gamble has paid off for me. I've used Hotwire 4 times this year and here's where it's gotten me:
  • The InterContinental in Miami. Regular price: $199.00 Hotwire price: $104.oo
  • The Crowne Plaza in Orlando. Regular price: $180.00 Hotwire price: $104.00
  • The InterContinental in Milwaukee. Regular price: $249.00 Hotwire price: $109.00
  • The InterContinental in Chicago. Regular price: $289.00 Hotwire price: $122.00
The only time I've been disappointed so far is at the Crowne Plaza. That was no $180.00 hotel room. I don't know where those bastards got off calling themselves a 4-star hotel. It was all old and shitty and the service sucked. I'm not even sure it was worth the c-note I paid. I haven't actually stayed in Milwaukee or Chicago yet, I've just booked the rooms. However, the reviews for both of these places are quite promising. Besides, they're both in their respective downtown areas and even the 3-star hotels nearby cost just as much if not more per night.

So there you go. I'm sorry I haven't had anything hilarious for you lately. I just don't have it in me lately. You'll have to settle for some traveling advice instead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

man i remember when we went to tahoe and i told you about it and you were all "thats not safe johnna were not doing that" well yeah i probably wouldnt do it anyway. im sure you get a rush out of the waiting for the hotel name though. i bet you miss me. i walked your dog today. she smashed my finger in the door though cause she was so hyper. i yelled at her. then she gave me sad eyes and i felt bad. she misses you im sure.. well not really. :D